Resources for Families
Recipe: Raspberry-Apple Crumble
Makes 4 servings
Cost ~ $1.20 per serving
4 medium, tart apples, such as Granny Smith
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp raspberry preserves or jelly
2 tbsp quick-cooking oats
1 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
3. Combine the sliced apples, juices, preserves, and 1/4 cup orange juice in a bowl. Pour the mixture into an 8 by 8 glass baking dish and set aside.
4. Combine the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
5. Add the melted butter and mix well.
6. Top the apple mixture with the oats mixture, cover, and bake 1 hour, or until the apples are tender. Uncover the dish for the last 10 minutes of baking.
Source: The Volumetrics Eating Plan, Dr. Barbara Rolls, 2005.