Resources for Families
Recipe: Zucchini-Raisin Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Cost ~ $0.23 per serving
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 cup oats
1/2 cup whole bran cereal
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray 12 muffin tin cups with nonstick cooking spray OR line them with paper liners.
3. Put vinegar in 2-cup measuring cup. Pour skim milk on top and let stand for 10 minutes
4. In a medium bowl, stir together skim milk, oats, and cereal; set aside for 30 minutes.
5. In another medium bowl, using an electric mixer, stir together the oil and brown sugar.
6. Beat in the egg, and then stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
7. Add the flour mixture to the oats mixture and stir to combine. Stir in zucchini and raisins.
8. Using a spoon, divide batter evenly among the muffin cups and bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Source: Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service; Healthy Living A-Z.